About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

2.5 Weeks Out

Well, I am now 17 days post-op and today was my first post-op doctor's appointment. I saw the nurse only, and she basically just weighed me and asked me a lot of questions, checked my incisions, etc. I go back on the 28th for my follow-up with the dietician and will probably be advanced to Phase 3 (real food!) at that time (per the nurse today).
Phase 2, the pureed foods, is going fairly well. The foods are a little bland and boring. So far my favorite has been spaghetti sauce made with ground turkey and Hunt's canned sauce, with a little parmesan cheese melted in. I also enjoyed some Jenny-O turkey shredded in the processor with a little mayo mixed in. Last night we went to IHOP for Kristi's birthday dinner, and I ate a few bites of egg & cheese omelet. That was really good and I did not have any ill effects as a result. Of course, eggs are on our puree menu, but that was my first restaurant food since surgery. I was surprised at how little I could eat.
At my weigh-in this morning I had lost 31 lbs since surgery. I suppose that's pretty good for 17 days, huh? Almost 2 lbs per day. My energy level is still low and on Tuesday night this week, I came home from work and was in bed asleep by 7:30 p.m.! And did not wake up until the next morning, either. I am trying very hard to get in my required 64 oz of fluid, 60 grams of protein, and at the minimum 30 grams of carbs per day, but that is a lot harder than it might sound.
My pants are getting very loose in the waist, and I was able to cut the tags off some pants that Artie bought me for Christmas about 2 years ago that I had never been able to wear - and wear them to work Monday.
I know this all might seem fast to the reader, but it seems minute-by-minute to me. I never get hungry, though. I still think about food, but not nearly as bad as those first several days. I do look forward to starting on real foods! I think the small portions will be a breeze as long as I can CHEW something! LOL
I survived Kristi's 40th birthday party with a ton of YUMMY hors d'oeuvres in front of me - but barely. That was probably one of the worst days/nights I've had since surgery. Of course, the food - and it didn't help that ARtie and I were responsible for the food. Then the fact that I had been up and worked all day since 7:00 a.m. and the party was still going at 10:00 p.m.!! I almost passed out at one point, how embarrassing. But the party was a great success and Kristi was shocked and thrilled, so it was worth it.
Tonight is my first support group meeting since surgery. I am tired, and still have therapy before support group, but am looking forward to it nonetheless. I definitely look forward to a few more days off over the holidays. Maybe eventually I will get that burst of energy that so many have talked about.
Keep me in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment