About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

HIGH Maintenance!

Why does it cost so much and take so much work to be a girl? Fortunately I do not keep track of what I spend on “maintenance,” because I’m sure it would shock even me if I did. The last time I had my hair cut & colored, a few weeks ago, it was $140.00. That was just highlights. It’s even more if I get full color, too. There’s an extra $15.00 for brow waxing, plus the special straightening shampoo and the “damaged hair” conditioner that I have to use because I color & flat-iron my hair. So I hardly ever get out of the salon for less than $200.00. Then I have to have a good hair dryer and a flat iron. And the special spray to keep the flat iron from damaging your hair … good grief.

I do my own nails, which saves a bunch of money. My nails grow fairly long on their own. The few times I have had acrylic nails, I have ended up peeling them off and doing major damage to my real nails. Polish doesn’t cost that much, but to get acrylic nails put on is at least $40.00 and they require weekly maintenance. That adds up, too!

I love to get a pedicure – not necessarily for the nail polish, but for the pampering treatment. Most pedicures cost at least $50.00 to $60.00.

Then there are the teeth. Regular trips to the dentist. Whitening treatments. Special rinses. Gotta have those pearly whites looking WHITE!

What about makeup? A girl can spend a fortune and HOURS on makeup! Not just the foundation, blush, eye shadow and lipstick, either. Now there are so many other products – concealers, color correctors, eye and lip primers, highlighters, PLUS all the anti-aging, wrinkle fixers and cleansers, moisturizers … the list is endless!

There are also the “necessary” luxuries, such as an occasional massage and maybe some injectibles for the face. I try to get a massage every two or three months. My back pain is a roaring beast and is usually soothed for at least a week by a good massage. I had a hot stone massage once and that was fabulous! It felt incredibly great during the massage, but the effects were not as long-lasting as a regular massage.

I’ve had Juvederm injections around my mouth to fill in the laugh lines. I’ve had Botox injected in my forehead and on the bridge of my nose (OUCH!!!!) to smooth out the wrinkles. Both of those were well worth the money and the “pinch” associated with each injection. (It took about 25 injections of Juvederm over two visits before I was happy).

It costs a lot and takes a lot of time to look good - especially as we get older. I guess that's why we are high maintenance! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment