About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Gospel Tent

The fair was always a big deal when I was growing up. My dad loved going to the fair, and The Dunsmores usually sang at the Gospel Tent at least twice every year. I remember parking the bus inside the gate and sitting there waiting for our time to sing. One year we had people knocking on the bus door asking for me & Kristi because they had seen our big red hair and thought we were The Judds. How funny that night was!

The Gospel Tent used to be located in a very central location, near the Jacobs Building and the Kerr Building. It was a large tent with plenty of folding chairs, and all the singing groups would have two sets a night, 30 minutes per set. The stage was large and there was plenty of space for the sound engineer to work. There were always two or three of those great church food booths nearby, as well, and the firemen did their tower demonstration across the walkway from the tent. There would be a full tent every night of the fair, and I always thought the Gospel Tent was one of the most popular entertainment draws of the fair.

Artie & I went to the fair last night to see both my sister’s group, CK3, and the Dante Praise Team, Rejoice, perform. The Gospel Tent is not a tent this year, but a shed at the top of the hill near the fair offices. The tent had previously been relocated to an area near the waterfront, kind off of to the side like an afterthought. Apparently there was flooding this year, which caused them to relocate it yet again to the top of the hill. I think it was hard for people to find this year. The Beeler family does a great job of booking groups to sing every night, and they have some very talented gospel performers lined up. However, I’m afraid no one is going to see them! Obviously times have changed in the 25 years since I used to play with The Dunsmores at the big Gospel Tent, but I was so saddened by the few people who showed up to hear gospel music, as well as how poorly the fair had advertised or notified the crowd that there was any gospel music and where to find it.

The crowd that was there certainly enjoyed the great performances by Rejoice, CK3, The Supernals, and the fourth group. I just wonder how many others would have enjoyed it if they had known about it. To me, the fair has always been largely about local flavor, in food, music, and demonstrations. Gospel music is definitely a local flavor in the East Tennessee area. I know I am a little bit biased, since I was in a gospel band for 20 years.

Artie & I had a great time, sampling a few bites of funnel cake and French fries and enjoying the music and performances. We talked to old friends and enjoyed the spirituality of the music. I left there feeling renewed and happy. I just wish more people could have reaped the benefits and left the fair feeling like I did!

1 comment:

  1. Kim todays generation is more about having fun and they dont know how to have fun at gospel singings they think they are to cool for that.I dont mean all them but God is being pulled so far away from everything like he is a disease or something .That is whats wrong with the world today.Glad yall had fun.Cheryl

    ReplyDelete