About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Sears Christmas Catalog

Does anyone else remember receiving the thick Sears Christmas catalog ("Wish Book") in the mail every year? This was a highlight of my adolescent & teen years. Kristi and I would pore over the catalog and circle the many MANY items we wanted for Christmas - knowing full well that our parents could not afford even a fourth of what we circled. There were Barbie cars and houses, Breyer horses, Brownie cameras, so many things to choose from. We would pass the catalog back and forth and make notes until the edges were turned and the pages worn.

I wonder what made us so materialistic so young? We grew up fairly poor, and I remember the struggles my parents had just getting by. Kristi & I set up a lemonade stand once because we overheard them talking about the power bill and how they didn't have enough to pay it. We wanted to help by selling lemonade.
Now that I'm a mom, I think of how I would feel if my kid(s) were circling hundreds of items in a catalog and I could not provide any of those things for them. I don't remember ever being upset with Mom & Dad on Christmas morning when the packages were small and very few. Looking back, I wonder how they felt about it.
Artie & I definitely spoil Logan when it comes to material things. I remember so clearly being made fun of for three things when I was in school: 1) having red hair; 2) singing in a gospel group; and 3) being poor. I want to protect Logan from being made fun of for any reason, so I do what I can to make sure he has the best of everything. My therapist says I'm not doing him any good by being this way.
I have learned so many things over the years since those Sears catalog days. Material possessions are really the least important thing in life. God, family, health, friends ... so many other things are much more important. But I still remember fondly that big heavy catalog coming in the mail and the excitement it brought with it, even if for just a few dreamy moments.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the Service Merchandise catalog! That was a favorite, too! -- Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Service Merchandise was my favorite too!! I just to LOVE to circle I'm that catalog! jonathan v

    ReplyDelete
  3. we did the same with the sears catalog .I did have one in my cedar chest need to look and see if its still there .The kids would get a kick out of it.Rememeber hearing older people talk about thats what they used for toilet paper in the out houses.I use to think man that would be rough on the butt lol.But you are right we grew up and learned there is more valuable things in life.Cheryl

    ReplyDelete