About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Having a Spouse in College

As you may or may not know, my husband, Artie, is currently attending South College and working toward his BSN degree (Bachelor's of Science in Nursing). If he successfully completes his course load and passes the nursing exam at the end, he will be an RN when he is done. I very much encouraged him to do this, and am 100% supportive of him going back to school to better himself and to better provide for our family once he has finished school. However, it's not all blue skies & rose petals when you have a spouse in college.
This is a 3.5 to 4 year commitment, and he is about to complete his first year. The number of classes he can carry during each quarter determines how fast he can graduate. He goes year-round and has been averaging 3 courses per quarter. He also still works two full days per week at Mercy Hospital. He has to do this in order to keep our health insurance. God worked out a scheduling miracle when He allowed Artie to go to school PLUS work just enough hours to keep our insurance and pay for it out of his check.
So for the next 3.5 to 4 years, I am basically our only source of income. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Stress. I have a secure job and I show up every day like a good little soldier, but many days I definitely feel the stress of being the breadwinner. We have used all of our savings to help family members in need, so I don't have a cushion to fall back on and sometimes I feel like I'm walking a tightrope!
Besides finances, another issue is the study & homework time. That mostly all falls on Artie's shoulders, but it adds a lot of stress to him. And you know how stress "trickles" down to other family members... His huge homework load & study time also interferes with our travel activities. We have not made a trip to SC to see his family since Easter. Every time we plan a trip, he has some project or big test to prepare for and we can't go. He takes school very seriously and I am SO PROUD of the grades he has made - All A's so far except for one B! His hard work is definitely paying off.
One of my biggest issues with him going to school is probably jealousy. I have told him this, so it's not a big secret. While I'm slaving away at a very stressful job for 10-11 hours per day, he is going to school for 4 hours on three days per week and then has 3 afternoons free. He mostly uses this time for study and homework, but he will also walk over to the neighborhood pool, or on cold rainy days will nap on the couch or watch TV all afternoon. I get very jealous on those days. I know I shouldn't! I'm just being honest!
Going back to college at age 45 is not easy. At first he was very intimidated by the experience, but he has definitely adapted and is excelling. Watching him help take care of Dad when he was bedridden, I know Artie will make an excellent nurse. And he chose that degree because there is always a need for nurses and it should be a very secure field to work in.
We definitely approach this time in our lives with a team effort. I help him with homework or typing. He makes most of our dinners and keeps the house clean. We do everything together and talk about how we are feeling and how it is affecting our lives. We are very open if there are any issues to discuss. I believe this phase of our lives is making us even stronger. As our 25th anniversary approaches (December 6th), I am so proud of how we have learned to face and overcome each new challenge that married & family life brings. Of course, none of that would be possible without God. It was He who brought us together in the first place.
Artie gets his fall class schedule today and we are praying for a manageable course load. I'm always excited when a new quarter starts because I get to order books for him on Amazon and return his old ones for credit. Little things like that thrill me. (rolling my eyes)
I am so proud of a husband who is willing to go back to school at his age and prepare for a new career just to better himself and our family's future. And I am proud to be able to support our family financially while he does so. God has blessed us. Now I just need to stop thinking about the pool and the couch time! :)

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried Chegg? you can rent textbooks. Hope all is well!!!
    Kim Bloomfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great .I am so proud of you both for all the harwork you both do and still have time for ech other.You are such an awesome couple that always are willing to help your family out no matter what it may be.Keep up the good work and keep encouraging each other.Love you Cheryl

    ReplyDelete