About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

These Fun-Filled Teen Years


Don't you just love the look on his face in this photo? In all fairness, he was super tired here, having only had about 2 hours of sleep over 48 hours and a full day with his friends at Dollywood. However, where is the happy at? I remember SOME parts of being 13, but I don't remember being so morose. I do remember thinking every little detail of my life was monumental and somehow earth-shattering, and that Mom & Dad just did NOT get it! Does Logan think that about us? That we don't get it? How sad for me. I try to get it, I really do. I try to stay involved enough in his life to know his friends and know what they are into; but not so much that I'm a meddler. We took Logan and 5 of his friends to Pigeon Forge for his birthday weekend and rented a cabin. I learned so much from watching and listening to them. They talked about some parents being so over-protective that "they don't even let the kid go to the bathroom by himself." Then they talked about a friend who has threatened suicide because his home life is so miserable. Some kids made their own beds and washed their plates out in the sink; other kids left a trail of potato chips and empty soda cans wherever they went.
I have always thought that Artie & I were close to Logan, and that we made it clear he could talk to us about anything. Sadly, he is starting to clam up about his personal life. He still lets me look at his phone and check his text messages, and I can look at his Facebook account anytime I want. He doesn't want me to know what girls he has a crush on. He gets frustrated with me when I ask "what's wrong?" or "how was your day?" I hope the days of my smiling, open, comedian of a son aren't over yet. I am not prepared for these sullen frosty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment