About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Self-Labeling

Yesterday we had a guest speaker at our church, and his topic left a lasting impression on me. He discussed how we see and "label" ourselves versus how God sees us. He used the story from Mark Chapter 5 about the woman with the issue of blood. He talked about how she had gone to many doctors over the 12 years of her ailment, and had spent all that she had looking for a cure. In the time period she lived in, having an issue of blood made her untouchable by others. Can you imagine not being touched by another person for 12 years? No hugs, no pats on the back or handshakes? Nothing. This was in addition to her physical pain and suffering. Losing blood for 12 years would make you physically weak and tired, to say the least. So our speaker brought out the illustration that she must have labeled herself as sick, poor, and untouchable. Even in her state, she knew that if she could only touch a part of Jesus' garment, she would be made whole. Once Jesus felt the touch, he turned to find the one who had touched him. When she came forward, he called her "Daughter." Even though she saw herself as all of these horrible things, and felt so alone in the world, in Jesus' eyes she was His beloved daughter, His child!
The speaker then had the ushers pass out labels to the congregation - you know those name stickers that you have to wear at conventions or gatherings and write your name on them. He asked us to consider what we often call ourselves or label ourselves, and then to remember how God sees us - as His beloved child.
I really enjoyed this sermon and the illustration that he presented. I see myself as so many things, and none of them good. I see myself as lazy and sinful. But God calls me his daughter and sees me as His child - He loves me the way I love my son, except in an even more pure form that only God can attain.
What a wonderful feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment