About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Thankfulness in the Little Things


Sometimes, like today, I sit at my desk and wish for the work day to be over with as soon as possible so that I can get home to my family. I get frustrated with my boss or with a client, I wish I could take a real lunch break, or I look out my window at the beautiful day and wish I could be out enjoying it. Then a little voice inside (my conscience, no doubt) says, "Kim, you should really be thankful that you have a good, steady job, and that you are indoors where it is air-conditioned and not working out in the 90-degree weather." Or, "Kim, you should really be thankful that you have food in the office kitchen that you can heat up and eat for lunch. Some people don't even have food at all." So I decided to make a list of a few less obvious things I'm thankful for. Even though they may not always feel like blessings, I realize that indeed they are.
1. I'm thankful for a steady job, indoors, with weekday hours.
2. I'm thankful for the health to come to work every day.
3. I'm thankful for paid parking so that I can park my car inside a garage every day.
4. I'm thankful for the huge window in my office so that I can look out at the Tennessee River, the UT Campus, Neyland Stadium, and the Sunsphere every day while working.
5. I'm thankful for a nice car that runs well and starts every morning to bring me to work.
6. I'm thankful for the garage at home to park my car in.
7. I'm thankful for the skills and intelligence to do my job well (when I'm not busy blogging).
8. I'm thankful for the clients who entrust their cases to us, thereby providing me with a secure job.
9. I'm thankful for the clothes to wear to work every day.
10. I'm thankful that I have a wonderful husband and son that I want to rush home to every night.
11. I'm thankful for WEEKENDS. ;)
"Praise God from whom all blessings flow." (Words: Thomas Ken, 1674. These lyrics, sung as the Doxology in many churches, are actually the last verse of a long er hymn, Awake, My Soul, and with the Sun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment