About this blog

I write about whatever is on my mind at the moment I am writing. Sometimes I may share too much information for your taste, or talk about a topic you find boring or uncomfortable. I'm just sharing my thoughts & experiences as honestly as I can, and would love your feedback, good or bad.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mountains vs. Beach





Having recently returned from both a vacation at the beach and weekend in the mountains, this topic has been on my mind. Have you ever noticed how many people from Florida migrate to Tennessee, and many retirees migrate to Florida? When I was younger, I always wanted to live at the beach. In fact, Artie & I did job searches and had found an apartment in Clearwater many years ago, before Logan was born. We were planning to move to that area and get jobs in Tampa. People from Florida thought I was crazy to want to leave the beautiful, peaceful mountains of East Tennessee for the heat, humidity and tourist crowds at the beach.
Having been born and raised here, I guess I sometimes take the scenery for granted. I can look out my window from the office and see ridges, trees, mountains, and the river. The heat is really an issue this year even in Tennessee, but it's still manageable. When I am in Clearwater, I can look out my window and see beautiful white sand, the ocean stretching as far as the eye can see, with the different hues of green and blue in the water. I can hear sea gulls and feel the sea breeze when I step outside. There is a beautiful sunset on the horizon almost every night. How do you compare two beautiful places? God created them both and they each have different things to offer.
We did live in Virginia Beach for a couple of years when we first married and Artie was in the Navy. Being further north on the Atlantic Coast was a little different than being in the Gulf of Mexico, but we hardly ever actually went to the beach when we lived there.
I'll probably never give up on my dream of living at the beach, but for now, the mountains are fine with me. Do you have a preference? I'd love to hear any comments.

1 comment: